I suggest ...

Homescreen profiles

Ability to setup different homescreen profiles, (such as work, home, and travel) that allows a user to have different customizable screen configurations (widgets, shortcuts, wallpaper) that can be saved and easily switched between. Example: A work profile might have a work appropriate wallpaper such as the company logo, corporate email widget on the homescreen, and quick contact shortcuts in the dock bar at the bottom of the screen. Home profile might have a music widget, gallery widget, phone and messaging shortcuts in the dock bar, and a sports team wallpaper. Travel profile might have maps and navigation shortcuts and widgets and an urban spoon shortcut. Of course these configurations should be 100% customizable. Profile selection could be in the Apex menu. Tasker support to automatically change to a profile depending on GPS location (phone detects if you're at home or work) would be perfect.

595 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Troy WalbaumTroy Walbaum shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

17 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • pacopaco commented  · 

Please add Tasker integration.

• Gonzalo MassaGonzalo Massa commented  · 

I would like to add to this idea the functionality called Page Buddy of TouchWiz where a new page appears when you plug your headphones or put your phone on a dock.

• Anonymous commented  · 

If your combining votes, then the 33 votes for "are Tasker 'Go Home' integration for automating home screen switching." could also be covered by this feature.

• VertigoVertigo commented  · 

Due to the fact that this would require multiple backups for Apex to switch between, with only a little extra work doing this would also take care of the request for "multiple backups of apex settings and desktops" which currently has 33 votes. And with just a little more work, the request for an "Option to change the backup location," which has another 31 votes, could also be dealt with. Considering how similar and closely related these issues are to each other, it only makes sense to group them and their votes together.

• Anonymous commented  · 

I just switched from go launcher, profiles would be awesome and tasker integration

• Akhil ParujanwalaAkhil Parujanwala commented  · 

Integrate with Llama and Tasker.
        As we have seen BlackBerry 10 and Chameleon Launcher have profiles.
        This would be a great addition to Apex.

• Thomas HummelThomas Hummel commented  · 

I'd love to hear a statement on this. Basically I can just add some of the ideas people mentioned previously:
        - Chameleon Launcher is really into that thing. But I think it changes too much of the existing widget and app structures. Nonetheless I will think about switching to Chameleon if the new version for phones is good enough.

- Most of the tasker apps can change ringtone profiles or else. But they can not change the homescreens. The basic integration would be some option to start different instances of the apex launcher, to switch in between them with some hacks.

- Don't you have the opinion that this feature would make apex launcher something special? I get most of the basic features with most of the latest launchers. But nothing special.

Could you give us feedback if it is not possible or just one task not that important for you?

• Michael Tree McGrade Jr.Michael Tree McGrade Jr. commented  · 

Profiles would be amazing. I would totally pay for the Pro version for that feature. Especially if it was able to integrate with Tasker. So much win...please add this feature.

• Ty QuinnTy Quinn commented  · 

+infinity for tasker integration

• Daniel MartinDaniel Martin commented  · 

also if you like plug in headphone it would open a media page with say music and a youtube widget and if you turned the phone into landscape a gaming page with recent games played

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  · 

At a minimum, have Tasker 'Go Home' support or 'Activities' that could be called by Tasker or another App.

• RobRob commented  · 

This feature also could simply be time-based and manage through the backup/restore feature. Allow users to create multiple backups and name them, then let users activate them during certain time parameters.

• Richard CollierRichard Collier commented  · 

This is the main reason I am looking at moving to the new Chameleon launcher. You can set "Conditions" for each page/layout (time, location, Wi-Fi presence). I use my Prime at home and work and to have the default page switch is soooo useful!

• ParkerParker commented  · 

This would be an great feature that could possibly increase the user base even more and integration with Tasker would be awesome.

• ExclaymationExclaymation commented  · 

Making the profile switch possible via the use of NFC tags would also be amazing.

• Troy WalbaumTroy Walbaum commented  · 

I first saw this in Gingerbread of my stock Droid X and thought it was brilliant but didn't have a use for it at the time. I'm really surprised a stock launcher has this but none of the 3rd party launches have picked it up yet. Also, profile changing based on what time/day of the week would work in place or in addition to GPS location.

• ExclaymationExclaymation commented  · 

This feature would distinguish Apex Launcher from every other launcher in the market right now. It would get loads of coverage in tech sites too, since that has been such a common request from android users to Google. You guys should do it.

Feedback and Knowledge Base